The built environment is a complex system that affects the natural world for better or worse. At RKD, we make sure it’s for better.
Sustainability is a diverse term that means different things to different people. Our clients focus on energy and water management and expect high performing buildings but are also acutely aware of the impact their buildings have on human health and wellbeing.
That is why at RKD we integrate best sustainable design practices into every project while striving to better educate ourselves and our clients. Close collaboration is essential for devising effective strategies that deliver truly sustainable projects. Working together in this way enables us to make better design decisions based on more accurate assessments of the triple bottom line: environmental, social, and economic sustainability. We often take this approach further to help our clients achieve independent sustainable certification.
Our sustainability agenda is guided by qualified and recognised sustainability thought leaders to constantly evolve design processes for delivering innovation. We share our knowledge and expertise to help building owners become more resourceful and to deliver sustainable design solutions to human wellness, performance, collaboration, and experience.
Whilst integrating best practice sustainability in each project we also offer our clients:
- Sustainable masterplanning and technical due diligence
- Early design solutions to reduce embodied carbon, maximise energy savings, daylight and views, through regenerative design, passive, and active solutions
- Material comparison studies to optimise resource efficiency and healthy indoor environments
- Whole Life Carbon Assessments (at any stage of the project)
- Pre-development evaluation and sustainability technical due diligence
- Post-occupancy evaluation
- Green building certification including LEED, BREEAM, WELL
- Assistance with ESG reporting
As part of RKD’s organisational commitment to sustainability, we developed a roadmap to become a carbon neutral practice and have made measurable commitments for both the practice and our clients towards 2025 and 2030.